Sunday, August 22, 2010

Losing my Mind

Living with someone who has dementia can make you doubt your own sanity.  All in all she has been herself today.  Not an especially nice person, but she knew who I was most of the day.  She is never pleased with _______fill in the blank.  It's cold, the movie is stupid, why is the dog panting so much, unhook my bra,the skins on the tomato's is tough, it's cold in the bathroom - that's why I don't like to take showers and so on and so on today.  She did like what I cooked today so I got one positive out of it.   I'm so looking forward to her getting settled into her own space at the nursing home.  I'm trying so hard to be kind and compassionate with her but she makes it hard to do so.  I don't think she has been happy with anything for the past 20 or so years.  Unfortunately I'm resentful of her,  I can't do the things I want to do because I can't leave her alone.  She keeps saying she would be fine but she doesn't know how she gets some times.  I'm going to have to take her to Derby Dinner with me on Sat., Erin and Mike are living their own lives as they should so even though she doesn't want to go she is going. I'm going to miss the Zombie walk and some dinners with friends.  This too shall pass and other things will happen when she is settled.

I'm a bit (ok a whole lot) whiney tonight.  I was starting to live my life again and now it is on hold again.  It will get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment